Friday, January 31, 2014

Day 153: "Champion's Mind: How Great Athletes Think, Train and Thrive" (NetGalley)

Daily Blog Challenge Day 153/365

"Champion's Mind:  How Great Athletes Think, Train and Thrive" by Jim Afremow, Ph.D, LPC

This was the first NetGalley book I read and it has made me love this service.  I thought this book was great and I will keep it on my Kindle for constant review.  As a coach, it shared many insights on how to run my program in a more effective way.  I wish I would have been more aware of these strategies as a player.

I have spent a lot of time over the past six months reading about Mental Training.  I have read and listened to many articles and videos by Train 2B Clutch, Brian Cain and others.  This book reviewed some of that informatoin, but also expanded on other pieces.  When I first started learning about these ideas, they were completely new to me, but I am beginning to see a shift where many professions are starting to understand their benefits.

A focus of mental training is the growth mindset.  There have been countless discussions recently on Twitter among teachers on the power of the growth mindset and how we need to help teach our children this concept.

Although this book is written about athletics, I believe it is universal.  It gives simple (although not easy) exercises to help master concepts of mental training.  We are realizing with more research just how powerful and complex the human brain is.  Through mental training, we can unleash this power and use it to our advantage.  Self talk, goal setting and growth mindset are all concepts that all people can use.  They are not limited to athletes.

I strongly recommend this book for all teachers, players, coaches and anyone who wants to learn how to harness the power of their brain to help them be more successful.

Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment