Thursday, January 9, 2014

Day 131: Tickets, Points and the Treasure Box

Daily Blog Challenge:  Day 131/365

For a few years now, I have had a fear of PBIS, Tickets, Points and Treasure Boxes.  I am not saying these are wrong, but I think implementation of these ideas are usually done in a way that don't align with my educational philosophy.

I understand the need to have a reminder for students about proper behavior, a visual for feedback on how they are doing.  As an elementary teacher, I have seen the benefit of these ideas.  However (and this is a big however), I don't believe we should be dangling carrots in front of our students in order for them to behave properly.  In my opinion, there is a big difference between giving a student a treat (reward) for great work and dangling the reward in order for them to do the great work.  I realize I may be splitting hairs, but I think this difference is VITAL!

Research has shown that rewards increase desired outcome, but that the desired outcome diminishes when the reward is taken away.  Are these programs achieving our goal of teaching/enforcing intrinsic motivation if we dangle rewards in front of our students?  I think we are doing more harm than good for our students.  I understand it may seem easier, but easy is not usually better.  As teachers, we need to remember that these programs are designed to help us teach our students, not make our lives easier.

I think I struggle with grades for the same reason.  At first we give the "best work" A's and that works well.  Soon, we start using grades as a way to motivate our students to perform (to care about their work), so we start giving A's to work that should really be getting B's in an effort on our part to encourage our students.  Eventually the bar becomes so low that everyone is earning A's in our class.

I believe the same is true during most implementation of PBIS, Tickets, Points and Treasure Box programs.  We start by rewarding only the best behavior and eventually everyone is earning regardless of their behavior or how often they demonstrate positive behavior.  Plus, students tend to loose interest if they do not deem the "reward" to be worth the effort.

I believe all of these programs and ideas have value and the real trouble  is not the program/idea itself, but in how teachers implement them.

I would love to hear your thoughts on behavior programs.  Thank you for reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment