Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Day 144: The Ultimate Goal

Daily Blog Challenge Day 144/365

In the moment, I find it is very easy to justify many behaviors: yelling at players (I have already told them a hundred times) or getting upset with my students (I have told them the same thing tons of times before).

What is my ultimate goal and does this kind of behavior lead towards this goal?  As I have written in other posts, I believe these behaviors are modeling negative behaviors for our students.  We do not want them to think anger is an accepted way to deal with frustration.  It is easy to say; don't show frustration, don't yell, but how do we go about this?  I believe we do this by focusing on building positive relationships, focusing on the positives, remember the small successes and taking care of our health.  I know I am much easier to be around when I am well hydrated and well rested.  We owe it to our students to take care of our health so we can be the best teacher/coach/parent for them.

Life is full of stress and challenges.  We as teachers need to model and help our students learn how to handle challenges.  Pointing out areas of improvement is one way we help students improve (people need to be aware of their weaknesses), but we need to also focus on the things they are good at (people need to be aware of their strengths).  No one wants to hear a list of negatives.

As a teacher, I want my students to learn content; as a coach, I want my players to learn how to play the game, but more importantly I want to use sports and music as a way to teach my students the skills necessary to be successful in life.  I tend to get caught up on the little things (not sitting still, talking...) and I forget to focus on helping my students love learning.  Possibilities are endless if you love to learn and are willing to try to things.

It is painful to realize that my behavior at times is taking away from my ultimate goal.  Although it is painful, this reflection is necessary in order to realize that I can do things differently and better.  We need to be the change we want to see in our students.  We need to model the behavior we want them to display.

What is your ultimate goal as a teacher?

Thank you for reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment