Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Day 150: Virtual Field Trips (Technology Tuesday)

Daily Blog Challenge Day 150/365

Technology Tuesday

We live in a time where funding for education is constantly being cut.  Money for field trips is at a premium.  One of my goals as a music teacher is to expose my students to a wide variety of music.  Live performances would be wonderful, but the financial and logistics make that option difficult.  Lucky for my students and I, we live in 2014 and our school is blessed to have access to technology tools.

Virtual field trips allow students to be exposed and experience new things without actually leaving their school.

YouTube is a great way to expose students through videos.  It may not be as good as actually being at the concert hall, but this is a great way to take a virtual field trip.

Another great tool for virtual field trips is Skype.  Through conversations on Twitter, I was able to connect with three band teachers who are willing to have their students give a mini concert to my students.  We study a different instrument family each quarter and these mini concerts will allow my students to see and hear these instruments.  We go to our Middle School once or twice a year to hear the Middle School Music Department perform.  I love this opportunity for my students and Skype just adds another opportunity.

What programs do you use to help your students experience new things without leaving your school?

Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment