Monday, January 27, 2014

Day 149: Musicians In The News (Material Monday)

Daily Blog Challenge Day 140/365

Material Monday

One of my fellow music education majors from college posted on Facebook that she was going to use the Super Bowl as an opportunity to study Opera with her students.  I usually do an Opera/Musical Theater towards the end of the year, but I figured this was a great time to expose my students to this music now.

Last week I introduced Renee Flemming and gave a brief background.  We talked about the differences between plays, musicals and operas (this is review from when we watched Polar Express before Christmas) and listened to a few examples of her music.  We also talked about the classical style of singing and why they sing that way.

I decided to add to my "bulletin board" outside my classroom and include information about Musicians in the News.  So often we talk about a bunch of dead people and the news is full of Musicians in the News for wrong reasons.  I hope this board will bring more awareness to Musicians doing positive things.  Plus it is a great start for many discussions.

Thank you for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment