Friday, January 17, 2014

Day 139: Biggest Success

Daily Blog Challenge Day 139/365

I recently had to do a lot of driving, so I loaded my phone up with podcasts to help keep me awake.  I was also looking for a way to spend my hours in the car in a positive way.  I discovered the Jon Gordon (A Positive Moment) podcasts and downloaded many of them.  I strongly recommend this podcast.  Most of them are very short, but they are filled with useful and practical information.

One of the podcasts I listened to talked about the idea of Biggest Success.  It is easy to focus on the negatives and we don't always spend enough time thinking about our blessings and all of the positive parts of our life.  Jon explained how each night he asked his children what their biggest success of the day was and he recommended all people do this.  This forces us to focus on the positives and all of our little accomplishments, which often are overlooked.

I started doing this with my 3rd and 4th grade students last week (although I only remembered to do it with two classes.)  We work on many different skills everyday in music and it is often hard to remember all the positives.  It is easy to remember the skills or concepts that are difficult.

My hope is that by spending the last few minutes of class talking about their successes, my students will stay positive and enjoy music.  I also believe this is a valuable life skill (one that I am working on using everyday in my own life.)  Life is more fun when we focus on our accomplishments instead of our failures.

Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment