Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Day 143: Gamification In My World: Part Two-Media Class (Technology Tuesday)

Daily Blog Challenge Day 143/365

Technology Tuesday

This is part two of my Gamification In My World posts.  You can find part one here.

I setup my Media Class a little different than in my Music Classes.  I use the same 4 levels:  Novice, Apprentice, Practitioner and Expert.  These levels align with our Self-Assessment Rubric, but I do not use this Rubric as much in Media as I do in Music Class.  Students need to achieve Gamer Points (GP's) in order to level up.

In Media, students have specific projects they must choose from in each level in order to move to the next level.  They are only allowed to work on projects within their current level.  Projects are single missions and a few are group missions.

5th Grade Media Class Structure

After a few days of struggling to keep up on giving feedback to my students, I created a checklist for each Level.  They also write down on their sheet (or I do) their points earned so far.  Once a week I go through and write their total points on the top of the sheet.  This helps students know how they are progressing. Students tell me when they have completed an activity and I write it in the grade book.   I have one page in my grade book for each level and I have a column for each activity.  This has really helped me stay organized and keep up to date on points.

My Media Class is 1:1, so my students use our website as a reference point to know what to work on, directions for projects and mission details.





Do you use gamification in your classroom?  I would love to hear how you set it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment