Monday, January 20, 2014

Day 142: Rhythm Reading in Primary Music (Material Monday)

Daily Blog Challenge Day 142/365

Material Monday

I have always struggled with teaching primary music.  I feel much more comfortable teaching older students.  My kindergarten students keep amazing me with their abilities and I feel like I am slowly learning where to set my expectations.

Our Daily Routine consists of singing our Song of the Month, rhythm reading practice and solfege practice.  At the primary levels we do the rhythm and solfege mostly by rote.  I am learning that my students can handle reading rhythm much sooner than I originally thought. At the beginning of this year I used bean bags with my second graders to practice composing and clapping Ta and Ta rest rhythms.

Last week I had my kindergarten students try reading Ta and Ta rest rhythms and I was astounded at how well they did.  We do a lot of moving, clapping and singing, but I need to include more writing rhythms and reading rhythms in the primary grades.  I like the Bean Bag activity and it is a great start, but I need to start adding more rhythm reading/writing activities to my repertoire.

I found this Rhythm Activity on Twitter and it looks great.  I am going to use it with all of my students.  It will be great practice for my primary students and great reinforcement for my older students.  I like that it associates specific notes with their values.

How do you organize rhythm reading in your program?  Which primary rhythm activities are your favorite? Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment