Sunday, January 12, 2014

Day 134: Role Models

Daily Blog Challenge Day 134/365

I have been reflecting and working on this post in my head for a few days now.  This is a more personal post than normal, but I always find writing to be therapeutic. 

My grandmother passed away on Thursday at the age of 84. We had all come to terms with the fact her health was failing, but we were not expecting things to play out as they did. Although it is still not easy, it is of some comfort to know that she passed peacefully (which is what I believe she would have wanted), without a drawn out battle. 

Her passions were playing cards, dancing, baking cakes and her family.  With four siblings, six kids, twenty grand kids and seven great-grand kids, family usually gathered in herds. Regardless of how many of us there were around , she always treasured her time with us. 

I feel blessed to have known my grandmother for as long as I was able to.  I know there are many that cannot say the same thing.  Through my experiences with her I learned many valuable lessons and her funeral has forced me to reflect on all that I have learned.

1.  Live your life with faith and family as your focus.
2.  Sometimes you just need to kick yourself in the butt to get things in gear.
3.  Positive self talk is powerful.
4.  Share your passions with your family and friends.
5.  Holidays should be about family and conversation.
6.  You don't have to see someone everyday to have a big impact on their life.

Thank you Grandma for being a positive role model and giving your grandchildren a great example on how to live our lives.  You are missed by many!

Remember, you matter.  We all influence those around us.  Thank you for reading.




No comments:

Post a Comment