Saturday, January 25, 2014

Day 147: Role Players

Daily Blog Challenge Day 147/365

Everyone wants to be the Rock Star, but even the Rock Star needs a manager, bus driver and support staff.

I am in the midst of coaching my second basketball season for this school year (I help my husband's team) and I am preparing to begin my first year as Head High School Softball Coach.  All of these positions have forced me to reflect a lot on roles.

In the game of basketball, every player wants to be the one who scores 20+ points a game.  In softball, everyone wants to be the home run hitter.  These stats are the glamorous ones.  Few people mention rebounds, steals, defense or the non listed stats (attitude, leadership, sportsmanship, effort and teammate) when they talk about great players.

When children dream about what they want to be when they grow up; few say a plumber, electrician or bus driver (the list is endless and I am in no way discounting any of these positions).  Everyone wants to have the "glamorous" job, but I think we all understand that without all of these jobs, our lifestyles would be very different.  We don't all have to be the Rock Star, but that does not limit the importance of each person (whether on a team or in an office setting.)  We ALL have a role to play and our team and coworkers rely on us to do our best, regardless of our current role.  This also means our role can change.

I believe this is a crucial concept for our students to understand.  We may not have what it takes (I will never be able to dunk or be a home run hitter) to be the super star, but that does not mean we are not valuable or important.

"Be OK with what you can't do because there is so much more you CAN do." -Sam Bearns

Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment