Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Day 102: Polar Express

Daily Bog Challenge Day 102/365

Material Monday

I understand movies have a bad rap in the educational world and I do not show many during music class.  This year I decided to show Polar Express.  We started watching it the week before our program; we would go through our songs and then watch part of the movie.

I realize I may be "stretching" it, but I believe there are curricular concepts to be learned from this movie.

1.  We talk about plays, musicals and operas and their individual definitions.
2.  This movie serves as an introduction to our study on musical genres.
3.  We occasionally draw pictures of what music sounds like to us and this movie is a great reminder of these ideas.
4.  We identify instruments by sound.
5.  We talk about the use of instruments and their impact on the mood/style of the music.

Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment