Sunday, December 22, 2013

Day 113: The Power of Music

Daily Blog Challenge Day 113/365

One of my favorite thngs about teaching music is seeing students (many who struggle in school) find success in music and the arts.

I still get goosebumps when my students are able to sing in harmony for the first time on a song or a part finally gels and sounds amazing. This is the power of music. My students don't know how to react when I become emotional during rehearsal. They think it is a bad thing and they don't always hear the beauty they are creating. The arts offer an emotional connection unlike any other subject area.

The arts also offer immediate feedback. It is very easy to tell if I have played a part correctly. I had my 4th graders play a challenging recorder piece for our Christmas Concert. After two weeks of working on it, most of my students want to give up. The week of the concert, I had many students tell me they were so excited because they finally learned how to play the piece. This is another example for me the power that music and arts can have. 

All subjects have their unique qualities and together they help use form well rounded people. We need all of these aspects: academics, arts and athletics. Together they create a fantastic education. 

Thank you for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment