Sunday, December 29, 2013

Day 120: My Reflection on a Christmas Eve Sermon

Daily Blog Challenge Day 120/365

Christmas Eve Service at my parent's church is my favorite church service of the year.  Towards the end of service, the whole congregation holds lit candles and sings Silent Night while someone reads the Christmas Story.  It is such a peaceful and beautiful experience.


The pastor started her sermon with the question "What is our world coming to?"  She proceeded to list many problems that our country and world as a whole face: hunger, war, abuse, natural disasters and disease.  It was not exactly an uplifting way to start Christmas Eve, but the message was powerful.  I was reminded that as a Christian I am not guaranteed a smooth ride without any challenges or trials, but it is through my faith that I find peace, comfort and direction in times of celebration and hardships.  Religion would be nearly pointless if we did not live in a world full of hardships.

As most things do, this sermon made me think about school and the role I have has a teacher.  Now I am in NO WAY comparing myself to religion or Christ,  but many students find peace and stability inside the walls of their school.

I may not be able to cure all of the problems in education or in the lives of my students, but I can  limit problems that happen inside my classroom.  I can control their experience in music (and as a coach) and I can do my best to make sure that there time with me is filled with joy, happiness and fun.

We may not be able to change the world, but we can change our classroom and that is part of our student's world.  We can be a source of peace in the lives of our students.

Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment