Sunday, December 15, 2013

Day 106: Reflection on the Basketball Season

Daily Blog Challenge Day 106/365

Our basketball season recently ended.  It was both exciting and frustrating.  Every year brings a new group of kids, who bring new challenges.  No season is exactly like another.  Last year I had 7 boys and this year I started with 16, so it was a learning experience for me.  I learned a lot and I look forward to using this information to better myself as a person and a coach.

Lessons Learned...
1.  Students need more practice in dealing with diversity.
2.  I need to find a better way of exposing my students to game situations.
3.  Students need more practice in focusing on what they can control.
4.  Mental training is a vital component of a well rounded program.  I need to do more with it next year.
5.  Focus more on details and execution.
6.  Focus more on each player doing their individual job.
7.  Focus on the process.
8.  Give more high fives.
9.  Continue 1:1 meetings after games.  It is important for students to give their opinion on the game.
10.  Practice with loud music, get students used to distractions.

What were your biggest lessons from this coaching year?  Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment