Friday, December 13, 2013

Day 104: Performance Dilemma

Daily Blog Challenge Day 104/365

The tradition at my elementary school has been to do a Christmas Program. It is our only full performance all year (we perform at assemblies throughout the year). This year I was granted permission by my principle to do just a normal concert. Each grade will sing two songs, just like last year, but there will be no speaking roles.

Last year our program was a bit on the long side and lasted over an hour. This year, I think we will be done between 30 and 45 minutes.

My stuggle with this performance is that I don't believe my students gained anymore musically or educationally from doing the program last year. Class time wise, we spent significantly more time preparing last year. I have a hard time as a teacher justifying spending that much time and money (for programs) on one performance.

What do you do for performances. I would love to hear your ideas. Thank you for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment