Saturday, December 21, 2013

Day 112: Motivation

Daily Blog a Challenge Day 112/365

I consider myself a pretty motivated person. I have always been someone who wants to do my best. I struggle with students who go through the motions. I was raised to believe that school was my job and that I should always do the best I could on what I was working on. This past semester has made me question the role of motivation.

How do we motivate our students? Can we motivate them if they don't want to be? Whose responsibility is it?

I try my best to create a welcoming, enjoyable music experience for my students, but there are a few that are hard to reach. Is it my fault? Is it their fault?

I struggle with external motivation because I fear students will become dependent. I would like to use class dojo more, but I fear I will make students tied to the program. I want to find a way to help students recognize their behavior and choices, without making it a reward system.

How do you encourage your students to find internal motivation? Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment