Thursday, December 5, 2013

Day 96: 2 AM Musings

Daily Blog Challenge Day 96/365

Once again I find myself unable to sleep. After two nights of it this week, I am beginning to see the impacts of lack of sleep on my behavior and attitude. As an adult, you say you are having trouble sleeping and most other adults understand and give you a little leeway. I am thankful for their understanding and I wonder how often I do this for my students...

I find it challenging to create strong relationships with all of my students when I only seen them for eighty minutes a day and it can be exhausting to always be engaging in 1:1 conversations with all of my students. I wonder how often I react with frustration with my students instead of with empathy and love. 

After all, I am an adult having trouble sleeping. My students often have little control over their home situation. They may be tired, hungry or just need a hug and to know someone cares about them. My goal for the rest of this semester is to make sure my students know I care and worry about them. It is easy to get caught up in concerts and the busyness of the season, but students and relationships are truly what my job is about. 

I would love to hear how you build strong relationships with your students. Thank you for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment