Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Day 53: Kids Know

Daily Blog Challenge Day 53/365

I have been trying to incorporate as much 1:1 time with individual students as I can during weekly lessons.  These conversations with my students have reaffirmed my believe that students know how they are doing in class.  They don't need grades to tell them if they are getting it or doing what they were expected to do.  Many students just hope that teachers will be too kind or give them the benefit of the doubt.

Last week I had my 5th grade Media Class students write a blog on Kidblog about computer problems (1. What they do, 2. What they could do and 3. What they should do.)  Overall, I was disappointed when how my students wrote.  Many did not follow the format from the board and did not put a lot of thought into their blog.  I decided to try 1:1 time with them and we looked at their blog and talked about how they did.  We talked about what they did well and what they need to fix and then they went back to make corrections. 

I enjoyed the 1:1 time with my students and they were very honest with how they did and I agreed with their assessment.  I also believe that my students will learn more from this experience; their first attempt, the 1:1 meeting and their time to correct their work then they would have if I would have just graded their first attempt.

How do you use 1:1 time in your classroom?  Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment