Saturday, October 12, 2013

Day 42: Together We Can

Daily Blog Challenge Day 42/365

I have often thought that I would be happier if I just staying in my classroom and worried about my kids and what we are doing. I struggle with balancing the need to be social and the desire to avoid stress. I want others to share with me ways to be better, so I feel like I should share with others when I find cool things. I am realizing though, that not all teachers feel this way.
Human nature tells us not to like change and education is a field of constant changes. I don't view change as better.  I am not a better teacher because I use technology in my classroom. I am not a better teacher because I am on Twitter.  I am however a different teacher. I believe technology and Twitter have helped make me a better teacher than I was previously, but that is the only person I compare myself to, myself.
I love seeing what other teachers are doing and what resources they are using. I no longer have to reinvent the wheel or be super creative, I just need to find ideas I feel would help improve my teaching and use them. Without teachers sharing, Twitter and Blogs would be useless. We all get better because we share and grow. It's not about getting credit or showing others up. It's about pushing myself to be a better teacher than I was yesterday, or last quarter, or last year.
Don't think for a moment you are not worthy to share your story and your ideas. Your blog may not win any awards (but who cares), someone will be impacted by your story and your ideas. In the end, that is why most of us teach, so we can impact others.  We can all learn from each other and things are more connected than they first appear. Good teaching is good teaching. Find teachers doing great things in your building or through Twitter and blogs and learn as much as you can from them. It us just another example that learning is a lifelong process. The resources are endless and it does not matter what medium you choose. The goal is to get better everyday because you matter!

1 comment:

  1. I could not agree more. What you are describing is what I feel many of us want, both as teachers and as students. Don't we continually encourage and even require our students to learn and grow? Modeling and guided practice are powerful teaching methods. I hope we as teachers can build communities where each individual can be secure enough to step out and show some creativity and individuality so our students can do the same.

    ReplyDelete