Sunday, October 6, 2013

Day 36: I Have Learned...

Daily Blog Challenge Day 36/365

I am finishing the first quarter of the 2013-2014 school year and I feel like this year is a big transition for me.  Through Twitter, I have been exposed to a wealth of knowledge and ideas and I have seen many of my philosophies change since last year.  This is a list of things I have learned over the past year.  I am continually amazed at how beliefs I once felt strongly about have changed over time.

1.  Students may know what they are expected to do, but they still may not perform the behavior.

2.  Students need structure and expectations.

3.  My expected behaviors may be "simple" but many students may not have been exposed to them.

4. Teaching is about relationships.

5.  I need to fight the urge to "put out fires" and focus instead on positive behaviors.

6.  Students need reminders about expected behaviors.

7.  Dangling a carrot may be a quick fix, but students rarely master behavior that way.

8.  There is a difference between awards and rewards.

9.  Teaching is hard work and exhausting at times.

10.  Teaching is an amazing profession and even at my highest frustration level, I can't imagine doing anything else.

11.  Grading participation is less important than if students can perform the material.

12.  Grades do not always show what students have learned.

13.  My philosophies and theories will change over time and I need to be open to change.

14.  Social Media is a wonderful tool and it exposes my students to many different opportunities.

 What are the biggest lessons you have learned throughout your teaching careers? 

No comments:

Post a Comment