Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Day 38: Being a Successful 21st Century Educator (Technology Tuesday)

My Daily Blog Challenge: 38/365

I recently came across a great post on the Educational Technology and Mobile Learning website (I take no credit for creating this list. I am only using it as a reflection tool.) I strongly recommend all teachers check out this site.  It is loaded with information on teaching and including technology into your classroom.  I see myself as a fairly techy person, so I was curious to see how many of the 33 Digital Skills I actually possess.  The article includes a list of tools to help teachers complete each skill.  I have highlighted each skill that I use in my classroom.  In parenthesis, I have included the individual tools that I use.

1- Create and edit digital audio (Musician's Kit)
2- Use Social bookmarking to share resources with and between learners (Twitter and Facebook)
3- Use blogs and wikis to create online platforms for students (KidBlog and Edmodo)
4- Exploit digital images for classroom use
5- Use video content to engage students (YouTube)
6- Use infographics to visually stimulate students
7- Use Social networking sites to connect with colleagues and grow professionally (Twitter and Facebook)
8- Create and deliver asynchronous presentations and training sessions
9- Compile a digital e-portfolio for their own development
10- Have a knowledge about online security
11- Be able to detect plagiarized works in students assignments
12- Create screen capture videos and tutorials (Skitch)
13- Curate web content for classroom learning (Google Sites)
14- Use and provide students with task management tools to organize their work and plan their learning
15- Use polling software to create a real-time survey in class. (Edmodo Polls)
16- Understand issues related to copyright and fair use of online materials (*Still need to work on this)
17- Exploit computer games for pedagogical purposes
18- Use digital assessment tools to create quizzes (Edmodo)
19- Use of collaborative tools for text construction and editing
20- Find and evaluate authentic web based content
21- Use of mobile devices like tablets
22- Identify online resources that are safe for students browsing
23- Use digital tools for time management purposes
24- Learn about the different ways to use YouTube in your classroom
25- Use note taking tools to share interesting content with your students
26- Annotate web pages and highlight parts of text to share with your class
27- Use of online graphic organizers and printables
28- Use of online sticky notes to capture interesting ideas
29- Use of screen casting tools to create and share tutorials
30- Exploit group text messaging tools for collaborative project work
31- Conduct an effective search query with the minimum time possible
32- Conduct A Research Paper Using Digital Tools
33- Use file sharing tools to share docs and files with students online



I am 16/33; I definitely have some work to do.  Just another example that proves there is always something to work on.  How many of these skills do you use in your classroom?

4 comments:

  1. This is a really helpful post as I begin planning a new Digital Literacies course I'll be teaching next fall. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can take no credit for the list. Have you checked out the website? Great list of ideas and tools. I would love to hear more about this class! Do you teach college?

      Delete
  2. Love the list - I have several of these types of lists bookmarked. Useful in thinking about not only what we expect of ourselves and other teachers, but also gives us ideas of what our students should know and be able to do. My only pondering is this - is there really a list that truly gets at the KEY things that teachers should be able to do with tech? My inkling would be no, simply because of the pace of innovation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Josh, I would hve agree. Technology is ever changing, but I do believe that if we ourselves and our students have a solid base of skills (in any area for that matter) we will be able to adjust and learn new ways/skills. A foundation of tech skills opens the door to other skills. As you said, I don't think one list can capture everything.

      Delete