Saturday, October 19, 2013

Day 49: Homework

Daily Blog Challenge Day 49/365

Homework is a hot topic in education right now and for good reason.  There is new research that indicates that homework may not be beneficial and there are many horror stories about what some students receive as homework.  I am music teacher and I rarely give homework at the elementary level (for many reasons).  I encourage my students to practice recorder and I provide music whenever they ask for it.  At the Middle School level, I expect my students to practice their instrument and their band music.

In my opinion homework is necessary in order for students to learn skills: reading, writing, math facts music instruments and sport skills.  Homework (if given) should be extra practice of concepts students understand but have not mastered.)  I don't believe it should be graded for correctness.  I want my students to focus on practicing and getting better, not on being perfect.

My main issue with homework is that it becomes a look into the home life of our students: those who have parents/family to help and those who do not.  The focus on home work grades is increasing the economic divide in our students.  I believe that homework follows under the category of what we have always done and in my opinion, that is not a good reason to keep giving it.  We need to be honest with ourselves and the impact that homework truly has on our students.  Packets and busy work are giving students more reason to dislike school.

What are your views on homework and how do you use it in your classroom?  Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment