Monday, October 21, 2013

Day 51: Steady Beat (Material Monday)

Daily Blog Challenge Day 51/365

Material Monday

One of the concepts I spend a lot of time on in Kindergarten and First grades is steady beat.  It took me a few years, but I now see the value of using singing games in primary music.  This teaching strategy was not something I was exposed to in college, but I learned from observing other music teachers (which as a teacher is one of the best things you can do, in my opinion.)  I include a variety of activities to teach and reinforce the concept of steady beat.


Steady Beat Activities
1.  Walk-Ing, Run-ning, Slid-ing circle to introduce long/short notes
2.  Passing Games
3.  Dance Unit (January)
4.  Rhythm Echo
5.  Just Dance (coordination and steady beat)
6.  Freeze Dance with Drum Set (or another instrument)
7.  Clapping Games
8.  March to Music.
9.  Steady Beat Songs/Games

What activities do you use in your classroom to reinforce the concept of Steady Beat?  Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment