Monday, October 14, 2013

Day 44: Sub Plans (Material Monday)

My 365 Blog Challenge:  Day 44/365

Material Monday

I struggle with sub plans!  I hate being gone and I never know what to plan for a sub who is not a music person (which in my experience, it is very hard to find a music sub.)  I had to be gone one day this year for a training and through many conversations with other music teachers, I think I have finally found ideas that I like for sub plans.

Kindergarten

I try to avoid movies, but I did leave a Disney Sing Along video for my students to watch.  If I am gone later in the year, I will plan on a game day.  Now that we have played many singing games, my students can play and sing them without a lot of help from me.  Usually there is at least one student who knows the words, so the others can be reminded.

First Grade

Game Day.  I was gone in the beginning of the year, so I did leave a movie, but next time I will not.  Days I am gone are great days for students to play games from previous years that they love to play.

Second Grade

Game Day.  My students often ask when we are going to play games we played in 1st grade.  Days I am gone are great days for this.

Some of our favorite games from K-2

1.  Apple Tree
2.  Grizzly Bear
3.  Old Grey Cat
4.  Doggie Doggie
5.  Here Come's a Bluebird

Third Grade

Levels (Centers)
1.  Rhythm Composition
2.  Musical writing practice (notes, clefs..)
3.  Orff part
4.  Rhythm BINGO
5.  Note Reading flashcards

Fourth Grade

Levels (Centers)
1.  Recorder Composition (Notes-BAG)
2.  Recorder Karate Practice
3.  Theory Worksheet
4.  Orff part
5.  Note reading flashcards
6.  Rhythm BINGO
7.  Recorder Folders

I would love to hear what you do for sub plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment