Thursday, October 10, 2013

Day 40: What I Need

Daily Blog Challenge Day 40/365
I realized tonight there are a few things that I crave as a person/teacher and I feel frusterated when these needs are not met. This reflection (like usual) led back to my students and I began to wonder if they have the same needs (I think they do) and what I can do to help fill this area. I hope this relfection does not make me sound immature, but I do believe that these are basic human needs (I am sure a brillant scientist has already labeled them all in a fancy way.)

I Need...
1. To feel appreciated.
2. To feel welcomed.
3. To feel valued.
4. To feel noticed.

If I figure that my students have similar needs, how can I help them fill these areas?

1. To feel appreciated.
-I can tell them I enjoy hearing them sing/perform.
-I can point out positives.
-I appreciate the way you:

2. To feel welcomed.
-I can greet them at the door with a smile.
-I can be friendly.
-I can make time to interact with them outside of class time.

3. To feel valued.
-I can give them compliments.
-I can interact with them 1:1 more instead of calling out in class.

4. To feel noticed
-I can spend 1:1 time going over their work with them.
-I can walk around and pay more attention when they sing and notice individuals.

2 comments:

  1. I feel the same exact way. I like what you wrote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patti! I appreciate you taking the time to read and comment on this post.

      Delete