Thursday, October 17, 2013

Day 47: Giving Choices

Daily Blog Challenge Day 47/365

Once the honeymoon period faded at my school, I found myself dealing with many students who would argue or complain about what we were doing or would just plain refuse to participate.  I vowed to not grade participation this year (a vow I later recanted, but I now give one participation score a quarter instead of daily.)  To help encourage participation, I started offering as many options as I could (while still making sure my students are accomplishing the overall goals.)  Participation has mainly been an issue in third and fourth grade this year and so far these options seem to have help alleviate the issue.  

Giving choices was difficult for me at first.  I had to over come the feeling that "good" teachers can make their students do what they want and only "bad" teachers have to give students options.

Choices I started giving.

1.  Don't require it (I have my students play many instruments as we study each instrument family.  I want my students to experience these instruments before they have the option to play them in middle school.  I used to "force" students to play and now I just let it go.  I tell them they will miss out on a fun experience.

2.  Would you like to work on this project with me or by yourself? (This has been working really well with 4th grade recorder and it has dramatically decreased the amount of playing out of turn.  In order to work with the group, they know they have to follow set expectations.)

3.  Order of completion (I do levels (aka centers) often in my class for 3rd and 4th grade.  I set out 4-6 activities that I want them to accomplish and they get to pick the order and time they spend on each.

4.  Allow a short sit out break (this was hard at first, but if I students wants to sit out for one thing I let them.  I want them to regain focus and join us instead of battling with them over it, which usually ends up if their refusal for the whole time.)

5.  If you would like to do a Just Dance please find a spot or you can line up. (Its amazing how many students used to complain about participating and now that they feel like they have a choice, they are the first ones in a spot.)

What choices do you give your students in class?  Somethings are non negotiable, but I am trying to find balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment