Sunday, October 13, 2013

Day 43: Variables of Student Participation

Daily Blog Challenge Day 43/365

An on going struggle I keep having is the level of responsibility that should be placed on students in terms of their participation.  I am a big believer in teachers creating engaging lessons full of meaningful work and opportunities for student choice and responsibility.  Learning should a partnership between students and teachers; teachers need to make things interesting and meaningful, but at the same time students need to be willing to learn.

One thing I love about teaching kindergarten is that they are curious and willing to try many new things.  Curiosity is a trait that often vanishes when a child grows (which is a sad reality in my opinion.)  I don't want students to do things in my room because they will be punished if they don't.  I want them to do them because they want to learn new things and they want to be the best they can be.

Students don't participate for a variety of reasons.  Some I can help influence positively and others may be a loosing battle.  I try to take these situations as a moment to reflect on what I am doing in class and ways that I can help. I am trying very hard this year to not get overly frustrated with students for not participating.  Becoming frustrated with a student who is testing me is a loosing battle.

Reasons I see for lack of participation
1. Embarrassed
2. Lack of confidence
3. Testing limits
4. Tired/don't feel well
5. Having a rough day
6. Confused on expectations/directions
7. Expressing right to choose

What are your expectations for student participation and how do you handle it when students refuse to participate?

No comments:

Post a Comment