Sunday, October 20, 2013

Day 50: 1:1 Time with My Students

Daily Blog Challenge Day 50/365


One of my favorite times this year is when I have the opportunity to spend one on one time with my students.  This summer I joined in many conversations on Twitter about Standards Based Grading and I  am on a mission to include it into my classroom.  In order to assess my students real abilities, I needed to find a way to incorporate one on one time with my students.  It can be a challenge to schedule this time and it does not happen as often as I would like, but I am taking baby steps towards setting up the classroom that I want to have.

I have enjoyed one on one time because it allows me to encourage and support my students.  I am able to  encourage them when they are frustrated and overwhelmed and I am able to help them individually. Often what my students see as a total failure is just confusion in one area.  One on one time has helped me strengthen my relationships with my students and it has helped me see a honest look at how much students are accomplishing music concepts.

One on one time has been a great addition to my classroom this year.  Do you use one on one time?  How do you ensure the rest of your class stays engaged?  Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment