Saturday, August 9, 2014

Day 343: This Is Your One Shot

Daily Blog Challenge Day 343/365 

How many times did you take the ACT? How many times did you take the driving  test? How many times did you take the praxis?

There are few tests as an adult that we are only allowed to take once. The point of these tests are to show mastery on a set of criteria. Everyone can have a drivers license and we do not consider that unfair because everyone passed. The test must be too easy if we are all passing.

School was pretty easy for me, but now that I am a teacher I see how stressful it could be for students who need to work for it. I can't imagine the stress I would feel if I walked into a test knowing I did not understand the content, but I know this happens everyday for some students.

We want our students to learn and grow but we have put fixed mindset limitations on them. We have set up do or die expectations and convinced many students they only have one shot to be successful or to prove they are smart.

Tests should be used to show who has mastered content and to give us information to help those who as still on their road to mastery.

What routines do you have in place to help students master concepts?

Sometimes we all need more than one shot.

Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment