Saturday, August 2, 2014

Day 336: #SatChat Reflection

Daily Blog Challenge Day 336/365

Do teachers fear technology or are many untrained on how to use it? Should teachers be given training or should they be expected to figure it out?

One of the recent #SatChat conversations was about teachers being scared of technology. I work in a district where technology is available but often unused. I am personally tired of hearing that I use technology because I am a young teacher, but I realized during the course of the chat I realized that this issue is more complex than I originally thought.

Many districts hand teachers a piece of technology and expect them to not only to use it proficiently but to teach themselves. Very little, if any training is provided. It would not be deemed acceptable for a teacher to expect a student to teach themself material, yet many expect teachers to use resources and teach in a way that many have never experienced before. This is a loosing battle in my opinion.

I realize that for every district that does it this way there is at least one that offers training and support to their teachers.  There are teachers who are scared to use technology, but there are also many teachers who are hungry to learn and who just need a little guidance.

Technology, like learning anything new takes time and people want to know what they are going to get from their investment. Those of use that use technology can model and encourage those teachers around us.
How do you help support your coworkers? How do you encourage others to use technology?

Thank you for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment