Friday, August 8, 2014

Day 342: Don't Listen

Daily Blog Challenge Day 342/365

Yesterday while I was driving I listened to a few podcasts by Joshua Medcalf. One of them was about talking to yourself instead of listening to yourself.

I was quickly given a real life example of this philosophy and it now makes a lot more sense. Last night I was tired and my daughter was being fussy. I soon became annoyed with my husband and my self talk was not helpful in the least.

He needs to help out more.
I am responsible for all this stuff.
He complains.
I don't have enough time.
I have too much to do.

So on and so on. My self talk only increased my frustration. It was in the middle of one of these self rants that I realized I needed to stop. I needed to talk to myself and focus on the positives. 

It seems simple but there is a big difference between telling our selves what to focus on and listening to our selves.  We are told to be quiet and listen but sometimes it is better to talk. Tell yourself what to focus on instead of letting it direct you to all the challenges.

How do you use self talk in your life?

Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment