Thursday, August 14, 2014

Day 348: What is a Bad Teacher?

Daily Blog Challenge Day 348/365

What is a Bad Teacher?  What is a Good Teacher?

I am a sports person, so many of my thoughts become sports analogies.  As a coach, many of my players tell me they want to score more points.  What they do not tell me is how they plan to score more points.  It is easy to focus on results, but we need to focus on the process.

It is common in teaching circles to talk about the importance of having positive relationships and bonding with your students.  We say this and then in the next sentence we are focused on curriculum and tests.

I want to score more points during the game, but I am not willing to spend hours in the gym working on my shot.  It is easy to focus on tests, but hard to put in the work building relationships with students who may not want to connect with me.

It is hard for me to list what a Bad Teacher is, but I know what a Good Teacher is.  It is one that shows their students they care about them and they build positive relationships with them. They see their students as people and care more about these people than test scores.  As we begin a new school year it is another opportunity for us to build positive relationships and to focus on our students as people and not their test scores.

What is your definition of a Bad Teacher?  What is your definition of a Good Teacher?

Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment