Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Day 353: Inservice Reflection

Daily Blog Challenge Day 353/365

We started the 2014-2015 school year with two days of teacher meetings.  These meetings tend to make me cranky because I feel like I am wasting my time.  The beginning of the school year should be a time to be excited and pumped up, but for me these meetings tend to do the opposite. Talking about laws, the new evaluation model and hearing about the ever growing deficit of our district are not topics that pump me up.

Here are a few of my thoughts after two days of meetings.

Illinois is transitioning to a new evaluation model.  I agree that evaluations need to be fixed, but I am not sure if a new form will fix the system.  In the end, evaluations are only as good as the evaluator.  We are so concerned about how teachers are doing, but I think we need to be more concerned about administrators.  They are the ones who are in charge of teachers, so some of the responsibility for poor teachers needs to go back to poor administrators.

Teachers are told to teach in ways that many have never experienced.  We are told not to lecture, yet this is often all that we experience.

In my opinion we are putting our efforts in the wrong areas.  Instead of focusing on rules and evaluations, we need to focus on relationships: with our students, with our schools, with our staff, with the community and with our parents.

Educators and administrators need to be a team.

How do you feel after your meetings?

Thank you for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment