Friday, August 22, 2014

Day 356: ALS Challenge

Daily Blog Challenge Day 356/365

I am amazed at how fiery people have become about the Ice Bucket Challenge.  What started as a few videos a week has become something that is filling up my Facebook News Feed on a daily basis.  In my opinion there has been some confusion about the fact that a $10 donation is still required even if you dump ice water on your head, which is leading to more conversation.

On the other hand, is this challenge going viral because it gives others proof that we are individually donating?  Does it feed into the "look at what I did" culture?

Regardless, it is bringing awareness to ALS and it made me think...

-How many people have Googled ALS?
-How many people had never heard of ALS before this Bucket Challenge started?

I had heard of ALS before these videos went viral, but I was one who Googled it because I was not exactly sure what it is.  Action comes from awareness.  I know there are many arguments against these videos (there is drought and we are wasting water.)  Yes, people could just quietly give 10 dollars and I hope that people still give their donation even if they do the challenge, but these videos are starting a conversation about a disease that a few weeks ago was not a hot topic.

Thank you for reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment