Monday, August 4, 2014

Day 338: First Project (Material Monday)

Daily Blog Challenge Day 338/365

Material Monday

I am in the midst of writing lesson plans for the start of the school year.  I like to start the year with a project that I know the students will love.  I also try to include an improvisation or composition component.

Kindergarten:  Name game, singing games, small percussion and dancing.

First Grade:  Singing games, dancing and small percussion

Second Grade: Rhythm Sticks-We start with rhythm echoes, I lead and than the students take turns being the leader. We also talk about AB form and learn a few basic rhythms to play along with to different songs.  I use popular, up beat music during this project.

Third Grade:  African Drums-We start with rhythm echoes, I lead and than the students take turns being the leader.We do 3-5 part rhythms and Drum Jams where the students listen to each other and play what they think fits.  The students also write a 4 bar 4/4 piece.

Fourth Grade:  Cup Game-We start with rhythm echoes, I lead and than the students take turns being the leader.  Thane learn the Cup Rhythm and play along with a variety of songs at different tempos.  The students also write their own 4 bar 4/4 cup rhythm.

What projects do you start the year with?

Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment