Saturday, August 23, 2014

Day 357: Meet In The Middle

Daily Blog Challenge Day 357/365

I am considered one of the techier teachers in my school.  I have decided this year I want to help my coworkers incorporate technology into their classrooms (instead of sitting on the side and being frustrated that the technology we have is going unused.)

I have connected with two teachers so far this year and am helping them setup Mystery Skypes for this year.  I was reminded that meeting people where they are is HUGE!

My husband is teaching 7th grade Geography this year and I suggested he do Mystery Skypes with his students.  This idea was overwhelming for him and originally he dismissed it.  A few weeks later I was telling him about how I was setting up Mystery Skypes for my 4th grade teachers.  They learn about the states and this will be a perfect opportunity for them to practice and review their vocab and the locations of land features.  Once I finished explaining what we were going to do he asked if I could set them up for his class too (of course I said yes :).  The idea of talking to people he did not know to setup something he had never done was way outside his comfort zone, but with me as the middle person, it did not seem as scary.

Be the change you want to see.  Talk to those around you and be of service to them.  We can all add to those around us.  Meet them where they are and gently push them out of their comfort zone.

What talents and qualities can you give to those around you?

Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment