Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Day 179: Immersion

Daily Blog Challenge Day 179/365

They say that the best way to learn a language is to immerse yourself in the culture.  I believe the same should be true for any skill.  When you go to another ciuntry, your focus is not one hundred percent on learning the language, but the goal is to experience another culture.   

What if we brought this same philosophy to education? 

Instead of focusing on learning skills, we focus on the journey. We immersed our students in projects and activities that fill all of their senses.  We aligned baking, music, art and other activities to reading and math skills.  Instead of school being isolated skills, it becomes an experience. 

My fear with testing is that we are so focused on skills that we forget about the joy of learning. As an adult, I learn new things everyday and none of them occur while sitting in a desk inside a school.  Students have this same ability,  but they need to be given the opportunities and time to learn in this way. 

One of my goals this year is to make my classroom feel less like a classroom.  I want my room to be inviting and fun, more like a music store when we can learn by truly experiencing music.  I want to immerse my students in music and give them a full experience that does not just focus on skills. 

How do you immerse your students in the journey of learning? 

Thank you for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment