Friday, February 14, 2014

Day 167: Means to the End

Daily Blog Challenge Day 167/365

~If we recorded the fans/players/coaches during a game and made parents listen to it, how many would be embarrassed?  How would they feel about the recording? ~

These are two questions I have been pondering lately.

I have been watching a lot of basketball lately.  My husband and I both coach, so we spend a lot of nights at a gym.

During many games as an assistant coach for my husband's team I have been disturbed by what I hear.  On the court are 7th and 8th grade girls playing a game, yet many are yelled at like this is the most important thing in life.  Now, don't get me wrong; I love sports and I love winning, but I believe our behavior often goes against what we really want our young people to learn.

I am disturbed by the number of compliments vs the number of corrections.  In my experience, there are not enough positives shared.  I am also saddened by how some players are heavily criticized while others rarely hear a bad word.  Players are constantly reminded of their short comings.  This also happens in classrooms when students are always reminded of what they struggle with.  We need to help them build their weaknesses, but also remind them of their strengths.

The other thing that bothers me is the behavior of some coaches.  I have realized that poor behavior is deemed acceptable as long as the team is successful.  This is teaching our students a horrible behavior!  Many students are taught at a young age that they can get by with making bad choices as long as they are successful in their sport.  Not many high school athletes make it to the professional level, so what lesson does this teach our students?  Are great employees allowed to do whatever they want just because they are great employees?

I believe all students/players have an important role and we need to build our young people up more than we tear them down.  Sports offer a great platform to help young people grow and learn life skills that will help them be successful in their future.  In the end, that should be the focus of youth sports.  The end should not justify the means.  There is no excuse for poor behavior.

I would love to hear your thoughts.  Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment