Wednesday, March 27, 2013

What is our Goal?

Lately, I have been reading a lot of tweets, blogs and articles about the current state of public education in the United States. I am now uncertain about the purpose of education. What is our purpose? What are our goals?

I believe the education community as a whole needs to seriously reflect about this issue. We need to determine what our goals are and then figure out if our philosophies achieve those goals. I would argue that high stakes testing creates students who are burned out and do not enjoy the learning process. I believe there is a disconnect between what we want to achieve and what we are doing.

This also applies to individual classrooms and schools. During spring break I spent a lot of time reflecting on my classroom goals and how my actions impact those goals.

What are your goals for your classroom? Are your goals and philosophies aligned?

No comments:

Post a Comment