Sunday, March 17, 2013

Can't Wait...

Spring Break is one week away. For a while now, my husband and I have been talking and making plans for our week off. One of our plans for this week was to undertake a home improvement project for our spare bedroom: paint, getting rid of the wonderful orange shag carpet and installing wood laminate. Last weekend we decided to purchase all the supplies needed for our project and we have been patiently waiting to start.

What started as a weekend with nothing to do ended with us emptying out the bedroom Saturday night and painting Sunday. Clearly neither my husband nor I are patient people when it comes to certain things. Most of this stems from us being very excited about this project.

What gets you pumped and excited? What lessons or units do you look forward to teaching? More importantly, what units or projects do your students get pumped about? What do they look forward to?

Imagine the power if our schools were full of days and projects that excited and energized both teachers and students. One project that I have found energizes my students is Innovation Week. My fourth graders have two weeks a year (at the end of each semester) where they can explore any music related topic. I believe we should strive to create atmospheres that are full of excitement and energy.

2 comments:

  1. I get excited about anything new that I teach. I know that sounds trite, but I really love experimenting with different strategies and topics. I love your idea of letting them explore any topic music related! A couple of my lesson students are exploring improv right now and making up harmony for common tunes. I can't wait to see what they create and learn. Enjoy your well-deserved break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your feedback Sarah. I also enjoy trying new strategies and topics in my class. I want my students to enjoy my class, but it is also important that teachers enjoy their own class too.

    ReplyDelete