Monday, March 11, 2013

Splitting Hairs

I realize this may be very picky, but is there is a difference between suggesting a better way and telling someone they are wrong? I believe there is and this distinction is very important. People do not like to be told the are wrong, but most people like to get better at what they are doing. Can you imagine the power of never feeling wrong, but always getting better? People tend to be defensive when they are told they are wrong and it is impossible to learn when you are afraid of feeling bad.

For example, when we play melodies on Orff instruments, a lot of my students prefer to play using only one hand. As a percussionist and a teacher, I prefer they use both hands. The main goal is for them to be able to play the melody line. Are they "wrong" if they play it using one hand? I would say there is a better way of doing it, but what they are currently doing is not wrong.

I get nervous before observations because I am afraid I am going to be told I am wrong. This fear prohibits a full learning experience. I see the same thing with my students. Some get upset when I tell them ways to be better because they think that means they are wrong. Others stop trying because they don't want to be "wrong".

Clearly there are times when it is right/wrong, but I believe schools need to focus on helping others get better. How can we build a culture of getting better instead of feeling like it is right or wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment