Thursday, March 21, 2013

If I Quit Teaching

The latest news out of Illinois is that they are cutting one billion dollars from education funding each of the next few years. This may be a scare tactic, but between this and the current pension fight, I don't know if I will be teaching in a few years. As a music teacher I know all too well that the arts are the first to be eliminated when budgets get cut.

One thing I know for sure is that I will never quit teaching because of my students. The progress and joys we celebrate in our classroom far out weight any student cause frustrations. I love the profession of education and I can't imagine doing anything else. If I quit teaching, it will be because of the politics and all the extra stuff that comes with being a teacher. For me, the extra stuff is where stress comes from.

This realization is sad to me because I know that I am not alone. The profession of teaching is loosing great teachers every year because of stress. These stresses are not coming from inside the classroom, but rather all the extra things that impact teaching.

What issues might cause you to quit teaching?

No comments:

Post a Comment