Thursday, March 14, 2013

Chorus Struggles

I am slowly adjusting to teaching middle school chorus. I taught chorus for a year at a private school, but I feel like this is a completely different animal. I currently teach a 5/6 chorus, which has twenty students and a 7/8 chorus that has forty students.

My biggest struggle is picking music that my students like. My 5/6 chorus is pumped for our Spring Concert because we are singing two "pop" songs. I have learned to give my students choices, so they feel like they are picking the music and that has helped. Even though they don't like it, they understand that we can't do "pop" music all the time.

How do you get students excited about chorus? What do you do to make sure your year is balanced with different genres of music?

No comments:

Post a Comment