Monday, March 11, 2013

It's Ok To Disagree

I have been living a myth. For some reason, I thought that being a brilliant teacher meant that no one disagreed with you. Now, I don't claim to be a brilliant teacher, but I was reaching for this unattainable level. I am not sure where this idea came from, but I have learned that it is simple not true.

Disagreeing does not include putting others down, being rude or thinking someone is wrong. We all have opinions and sometimes those opinions do not align with each other. The beautiful thing is that these moments can lead to great conversations, which in turn make us better teachers and people.

One of the hardest things for me is to to not take disagreements personally. I try to teach my students this too. Another person's opinion does not mean you are doing something wrong or are a bad person. I do not like conflict, so I always ran from these conversations. Disagreeing should not feel like conflict, so it is very important to keep tone in mind and choose words carefully. Disagreeing is fine, but we want these conversations to be a positive experience.

I challenge you to disagree with people. When someone asks for your opinion, tell them what you honestly believe and then explain to them why you think the way you do. This conversation is an opportunity for both people to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment