Monday, March 4, 2013

What is this Feeling?

I recently read a Twitter post that stated "Teachers who say they are burned out were probably never on fire to begin with." This comment struck me and honestly I was a bit offended, so I have spent time reflecting on it. This is my fourth year teaching and I think it is the most stressful so far. To be fair, there have been a lot of changes. This summer I moved 3000 miles, was married, started a new job and teach middle school chorus for the first time. All f this happened within a span of about three months, so it has been a bit of an adjustment.

What is burn out? I hear teachers use the word and I have used it myself, but what does it really mean? This year I have felt exhausted and frustrated. Upon further reflection I have learned that for me burn out is when I get too wrapped up in things I cannot control. When this happens I force myself to focus on my students and my classroom. These positive thoughts are usually enough to get energized and excited about teaching again.

What causes you to feel "burned out" and how do you cure it?

No comments:

Post a Comment