Thursday, April 4, 2013

One Liners

The book Teaching with Love and Logic includes many suggestions for quick interventions to common classroom issues. Here are the ones I currently use in my classroom. It is Important that all interventions are given with empathy, don't interfere with teaching, force the child to do the thinking and prevent a power struggle.

Problem: Tattling
Response: Don't you hate when that happens?

Problem: Student is displaying behavior that is incorrect for the setting. (My kids love to spin on the floor.)
Response: Can you please save that for ___________?

Problem: Student is not participating or displaying an unwanted behavior.
Response: You know I care about you right? Do you think I should let you get away with ______?

Problem: Student is causing a disruption.
Response: You know, I have a really hard time teaching when you do that. You have probably notice that I do a bad job when I am distracted. Do you think you could stop ________ for me?

Problem: Student is not telling the truth or is too upset to discuss the situation.
Response: I will be glad to listen when you are ready to tell me what really happened. (The minute they start blaming others, I repeat itand walk away. I go and work and give them a few moments to think. Sometimes this has to happen over many tries and can last for a while.)

No comments:

Post a Comment