Thursday, September 15, 2016

Reflections on Mental Health

Mental Health is an important topic and one that is becoming more talked about, which will hopefully help take the stigma away.   Urban Meyer opened up about his struggles and made me realize that mental health is not black and white.  It is a great article and brings information about struggles many people face out of hiding.

I am not a Division 1 football coach and I do not pretend that my life is as stressful as his, but I found myself relating to many things that he talked about.  Often when I think about depression or anxiety, I think about a person not being able to get out of bed or overwhelming sadness.  I don't think about the high level of expectation I place on myself or the negative self talk that fills my head at times.

Many people, myself included, live under the illusion that people who have it all together never struggle.  Not all depression or anxiety leads to medication.  I have never experienced severe depression, but at the same time life is not always roses and sunshine.  Severe depression and anxiety need professional help, but I also believe it is vital that we all realize that we have moments of struggle.  Although these moments are "normal," it is important that we also notice these symptoms and learn to handle them better.  

At the end of the day it does not matter how many items I check off my To Do list or other non-important stats that we tie our happiness to.


No comments:

Post a Comment