Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Goodbye Facebook

This morning I deleted Facebook from my phone. I can still access it using a web browser, but it is one more step and I am hoping this will deter me from checking it all the time.  I like that Facebook allows me to stay in touch with my friends and family.  Especially those who I rarely get to see.  Lately though, it feels like I am sharing without really connecting with my family and friends. Facebook makes it easy to share pictures and information, but it does not guarantee that people actually read or notice what is shared.  

Summer and maternity leave have left me with extra time and I have found myself checking Facebook more often and comparing my life to what I see online.  Which usually leaves me feeling like I do not stack up.  Some days, I feel a great sense of accomplishment if my family is fed and my house is still standing at the end of the day.  My life is rarely (if ever) the glamour I see online.  I noticed at times that 'likes' made me feel happy and no reaction made me feel a little sad.  The comparisons were making me feel bad about myself at times. The impact Facebook was having on my psyche seemed to be bordering on unhealthy and was definitely not helpful.

It is a habit for me to check Facebook and like all habits, it is hard to break. I still check a few times a day, but it is dramatically less than I would if I had the app on my phone.  I am trying to focus on truly connecting with my friends and family through e-mail, phone calls and text messages.  I can still share pictures, but I share 1:1 instead of through social media.  It is going to be a process, but I believe there will be many positives from removing/limiting my time on Facebook.

Have you taken a break from Social Media?  How did it go?  How do you balance Social Media and the real world?

No comments:

Post a Comment