Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Time to be Selfish

I don't know if it is a women thing or if it is just part of my personality, but I have learned (the hard way) that I have a hard time asking for help.  After the birth of my first child, I was more uncomfortable than necessary because I refused to ask the nurses for help.  I did not want to bother them, so I did not ask for things as often as I should have.  I learned my lesson and recovery after my second child went a lot better. Even though I asked for help more often, the nurses never once seemed bothered.  There are people in this world who genuinely want to help those around them.

My husband tells me I am an independent, self sufficient women.  I have learned that this is also code for being stubborn.  I expect to be able to take care of everything and do everything myself.  As I have added a husband, a commute, a job and two kids to the equation, at times it becomes too much to handle all on my own.  Unfortunately, I am still working on learning to recognize the signs of feeling overwhelmed so I can take steps to avoid a frustration/stress induced meltdown.  Thankfully I have a husband who is supportive and is learning to recognize the signs so that he can help me.

It sounds selfish, but we need to take care of ourselves.  As moms and wives, I know this can be hard.  For me, it is extremely hard! We need to put our own well being as priority one.  During an airplane crises, they tell you to put your air mask on first because if you are not taken care of, you cannot take care of your family.  Now, I realize there is a fine line.  I cannot become extravagant in my mission to "take care of myself." It is not in the best interest of my family or myself for me to sleep 12 hours a day, miss work or other responsibilities and call it "taking care of myself."  However, I do believe it is important and vital to make time for myself during the day.  Even if that is an hour broken up throughout the day.  Finding balance does not mean equal.  Finding time to pray, Bible Study, journal, sleep and exercise are important for my mental, physical and emotional well being.  When I take care of myself, I am better able to take care of those around me. 

How do you make taking care of yourself a priority?  What activities help you be at your best?

No comments:

Post a Comment