Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Tough Choices

We stopped at Walgreens over Thanksgiving Break and as we were shopping another car backed into our vehicle and left the parking lot.  Luckily, two employees saw the car and were able to get a description of the other car.  Unfortunately they were unable to see the licence plate and at this time we have not heard anything more about who hit our car.


Life is full of choices and we make hundreds of choices a day: what to wear, what to eat, what to cook, what to buy, what to do, what to say and the choices go on and on. Some of these choices are easy, some are of little consequence and others are very important. Sometimes I don't feel like doing the right thing or saying the right thing and sometimes doing the right thing is hard, but the consequences can be severe. 

Being a mom is teaching me a whole new level of patience. I know how I want to treat my child and I know she deserves to be treated kindly and respectfully. It does not make me proud to admit I have raised my voice at her when I am tired or don't feel like dealing with something she is doing. How am I going to respond to her when she is cute and loveable? How am I going to respond when she is screaming, I am tired and it's the middle of the night? It's hard to be kind. It's hard to be respectful, all the time. The consequence of being rude or mean to my child ruins far more than one positive action gains and at the end of the day it is worth it to be kind. I would much rather continue to build on our positive relationship than spend even more energy trying to fix what I broke in a moment of frustration. The same philosophy works in terms of all relationships. 

The person who hit my car would have had a consequence had they taken responsibility for their actions. If they are caught now, their consequences will be more severe. 

We have choices everyday. Are you going to admit you hit the car or drive away? Are you going to treat those around you respectfully even if they don't deserve it or you don't feel like it?

We make hundreds of choices a day. Choose wisely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment